Are you ready for warm weather and sunshine days? Is gathering outdoors with family and friends over picnics and barbeques on your radar? Well, with the delightful unseasonal weather we experienced in New Jersey last week, both The Harried Mom and I decided we would switch gears and trade our Crock Pots for the Backyard Grill. Meet the Grill-More Girls!
Rest assured, however, that although we will be sharing our summer grilling recipes (summer salads and dips and deserts too!), we will still occasionally be using our Crock Pots too. In fact, we have a special Italiano Crock Pot surprise scheduled for July…. think taste test.
I had intended to kick off the grilling season with one of my all time favorites – Nonna’s Sausage & Peppers Recipe – but my over organized mother beat me to it. I will digress for a moment and introduce you to my mother.
Retired for almost five years, my mother is THE most domestically organized and disciplined individual I know. She irons bed sheets and dish cloths, knows if pantry items have been moved from their intended spot and she is forever “planning” meals. In a nutshell, she makes me look like a total slacker. Two days per week, she and my father drive down from North Jersey and help me out with getting the children to and from school on the days when I am working in the office. And each Sunday, prior to their Tuesday arrival, my mother plans what we will eat. With the usual chaos of the work week, I gladly welcome the break from cooking. So this past week, after I purchased the ingredients I needed to fix this delicious dish, my mother indicated she would be making ..surprise…Sausage & Peppers. Considering she perfected this recipe, who am I to argue against having dinner made for me and the entire family!
So Tuesday afternoon, I came home from work to an impeccably set table (my mother insists on table cloths) and a Home Cooked Meal from my Mommy. And for the duration of dinner, I didn’t mind being “mothered” because the taste of dinner drowned out all other “noises”.
2 pounds of Lugana Sausage (I often buy the thin rope from the butcher)
3 white onions
3 red and yellow peppers and 6 baby potatoes
Olive Oil, Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Take the Sausage and stab the entire rope with a fork and place it into a pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
2. While the sausage cooks, chop the onion and peppers and place in a baking dish with 6 baby potatoes and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake these for 30 minutes.
3. Once the sausage is cooked, you will notice the water will have discolored and a grey color foam will be floating atop. Friends, that is fat and it’s terrible for you. Remove the sausage from the pan and rinse it.
4. Fire up your grill and cook the sausage for another 10 minutes, 5 minutes each side.
5. Once complete, combine the sausage with the cooked onions and peppers and serve.
Served with a large Italian roll, this sandwich is heavenly!
Now it’s your turn. Do you have a grilling recipe you would like to share, leave your recipe in the comment section of this post or link your recipe with our Mister Linky below!